Sunday, May 8, 2011

So sorry Scott Silverberg


Let me skip all the tumbleweed, tornados, and exhaustion and jump 4000 miles right to the present; West Chester, PA, and the charmingly, eclectic Irish Village of Abbey Green. (Well, they call themselves an Irish Village, but it’s much more a multi-colored, motor lodge efficiency with a little Irish retail store attached to the end.)

Now, when I think of an Irish Village, this is what comes to mind...

                                                                  Kiss me Blarney stone!



But THIS is the Pennsylvania version:


                                                                    "Kiss my grits!"
                                                      (note Flo in the light blue sweater) 

It’s surrounded by a highway at one end and miles of trees and hills that wind down into West Chester University. On Saturday, I decided that the dog needed some exercise, so we headed out toward the hills. 
We were having a grand 'ole time, me chucking the ball, and Bean, (the dog) leaping fearlessly over bushes and shrubs and deftly catching the ball in her mouth. Now, mind you it was Saturday...graduation day for West Chester University...I could hear it echoing in the valley, but it seemed far away.

It seemed far away...I don't have pictures for what happened next, so I made some extremely crude drawings to help reenact the events.

I saw a large shrub and thought it'd be a great idea to chuck the ball over it to see if Bean could make the jump...

She did...right into the 2011 graduating class of West Chester University.


                                                       Weeeeee! "Get the ball Bean!"

Just as the master of ceremonies was announcing the next name to cross the stage, Bean jumped between rows "A" and "B". 



I'm pretty sure he was saying, "Scott Silverberg!", but what came out was, "Scott Siverberrrr....Whaa?!" With me finishing the sentence by yelling "BEAN!".

I didn't even wait for the dog, I just took off. Eeeep! (Yes, I will abandon you too if we are in an embarrassing situation...I'll admit it)

So, one of the most important and proud moments of Scott Silverberg's life is forever imprinted with the memory of his name being called: "Scott Siver-BEAN!"

You're welcome Scott...your welcome.



      

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shan,
    This is just a quick test to see if I can leave a comment...
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay,
    I can leave comments now...don't know how you did it but I chose the anonymous route...but it's me..eanlai!!!:):):)...well, I am just delighted you have started your vagablog...I have no doubt it will be a deeply creative and inspiring process for you and for all of us followers...I really like your voice and your way of telling a story...believe me, it is not as easy as you make it seem to spin a good yarn...i laughed my butt off at the drawings of Bean leaping the bush...yay!!...I hope you are having a gggggreat day today on your special day and I am sending you heaps of love and good wishes...I look fwd to the next installment ...truly...also a suggestion...maybe you could somehow figure out how your latest blogs can just get sent to your followers...I think that would make a huge difference ...xoxox...

    ReplyDelete